Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Tired

I am tired of trying to fix things. I've tried to fix my kids all their lives, and they've resisted my every effort. My husband, Mark, told me that at church last Wednesday, our Pastor talked about laying our loved ones on the altar. Mark said that was what he was going to do, lay our kids on the altar. These past two weeks have been a real test and every time I ask Mark, "What should we do?" His answer is, "I've laid them on the altar."

Well, that's easy for him to say. Or is it? Do I worship fear and my own abilities, rather than worshipping God? The message on Sunday was on I Samuel 5:1-5, where the Philistines captured the Ark of the God and put it in the temple of their idol, Dagon. When they went to see it, Dagon had fallen with his face to the ground in front of the Ark of the Lord. So they put Dagon back up, but when they came the next morning, they found Dagon with his head and hands cut off, his trunk lying at the threshold of the temple. Our Pastor said that no matter what work of darkness is opposing us, God is not threatened, His power isn't diminished. He confronts my enemies for me.

Lord, I lay all my fears at the altar. I cry out to you, deliver me! Forgive me where I've believed my way was best. Bring your truth into every situation.

6 comments:

  1. Laying things on the altar is hard--and sometimes it's even harder to LEAVE them on the altar. Thanks for bringing this up--I've got a thing or two I need to lay back down...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kathy, these are wise words since we both have graduating seniors this year. I need to lay my son on the altar because I'm having a very hard time letting go of him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kathy, love the photo on your header. oh yeah, I've put my kids on that altar so many times and then yanked them back!
    I'm adding you to my blog links.
    www.pencildancer.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kathy,
    I saw your email on the ACFW loop today about blogs. So I thought I'd head over and encourage you! I've found it very helpful to start reading other writer's blogs and commenting on theirs. If appropriate sign up to follow other blogs. It helps for people to see your name in the loop of commentors and your face on the follower widgit. That will start drawing people to your blog! Then to keep your followers, you have to find great things to blog about AND keep networking with other bloggers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Like Jody, I stopped by to encourage you. Your blog is "in the valley" right now as far as readership, but be faithful with it and reach out to others. The readers will come.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kathy,
    I stopped by to encourage, too. And found encouragement! Worshipping fear and my own abilities is a real problem. I work at laying it all on the altar.
    I'm going to keep reading and see what other inspiration I find.

    ReplyDelete